Fundamentals of Gastroenterology
Who is the course for?
The course is designed for young vets, it is part of our Fundamentals programme. It would also be suitable for those who want to refresh their knowledge.
About the course
A day discussing the common gastro-intestinal conditions seen in general practice. Emphasis will be on using history and clinical examination to help determine the best diagnostic approach, driven by evidence-based medicine. Knowledge will be consolidated using case scenarios and there will be some demonstrations of practical techniques. We are finalising the programme for this course and will upload it here when available.
- Professor Gayle Hallowell MA VetMB PhD CertVA DipACVIM DipACVECC PFHEA FRCVS, Nottingham
Key learning objectives
- Consolidate basic clinical knowledge and understanding of choke, gastric ulceration and impaction, liver disease, diarrhoea, weight loss and colic.
- Assess a horse with abdominal pain and formulate a plan for investigation and management.
- Identify potential infectious diarrhoea cases.
- Formulate and implement biosecurity plans for suspected diarrhoea cases.
- Confidently create a tailored yard worming programme.
- Know when and how to refer.