AVMA Launches COVID-19 Resource Center
During these turbulent times, the AVMA is committed to supporting our insureds and the veterinary industry at large. Our subject matter experts have created a resource center that aims to provide practice owners with the tools they need to shore up their risk management protocols during the crisis. This email highlights select materials featured in the resource center.
What veterinarians need to know
Health officials across the U.S. and all over the world are working hard to combat COVID-19. The AVMA is committed to providing factual, up-to-date information and resources to support the veterinary community in delivering services during the pandemic. This work includes providing care for pets; horses; livestock (including safeguarding the nation's food supply); laboratory animals; and aquatic, exotic, and wild animals – all work that is essential and helps protect both animal and human health.
In updating this material, the AVMA is in regular contact with federal agencies, such as the CDC, FDA, and USDA; other state, national, and international veterinary and public health expert groups; intergovernmental organizations such as the WHO and OIE; lawmakers, and others.
Here’s some of the information you’ll find to help the veterinary community and animal owners meet the challenges posed by COVID-19.
Understand what’s known about COVID-19 in both people and animals:
- Origin and spread
- Symptoms, transmission, prevention, and treatment
- Impacts on animals of various species, including guidance for whether/how to test
Find practical resources to protect your veterinary team while continuing to provide needed patient care including:
- Team health and safety
- Triaging and caring for patients while practicing social distancing
- Communication tools
- Telemedicine guidance and tools
- Drug and medical supply chain impacts
- International experiences
Legislation and relief programs
Learn about government measures passed in response to the COVID-19 outbreak, including:
- How federal relief programs affect veterinary business and workers
- How to apply for business loans and other relief
- State orders related to essential businesses, telemedicine, PPE, CE, and more
Business and economics
Get practical information and resources to manage the business impacts of the pandemic:
- Managing cash flow to stay afloat
- Essential employee authorization template
- Contractual obligations
- Economic impacts of COVID-19 on veterinary medicine
Find tips and information to support personal wellbeing in this time of uncertainty and grief: