How to Use and Interpret Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing for Common Bacterial Pathogens
Get access to all handy features included in the IVIS website
- Get unlimited access to books, proceedings and journals.
- Get access to a global catalogue of meetings, on-site and online courses, webinars and educational videos.
- Bookmark your favorite articles in My Library for future reading.
- Save future meetings and courses in My Calendar and My e-Learning.
- Ask authors questions and read what others have to say.
K. Gary Magdesian, DVM, DACVIM, DACVECC, DACVCP
Culture and susceptibility testing is often underutilized in veterinary medicine, owing to time delays and the added challenges in interpreting test results; instead, empirical drug choices are often made. This paper will demonstrate that susceptibility data can aid in the selection of appropriate antimicrobials in equine practice, in spite of time delays, and to simplify the interpretation of results.
This two-part course consists of one proceedings paper and the accompanying 2019 AAEP Convention presentation. The video has been split into two parts for ease of download and viewing; as one video part concludes, the next will unlock.
You must view all sections of the course before the quiz will unlock.
With the successful completion of this course, you will understand
- how testing guides antimicrobial therapy
- how testing ensures that the empirically selected antimicrobials have in vitro efficacy against the cultured isolates
Continuing education credit:
- 0.5 credit hour Medical, Non-interactive/Anytime, with a passing score of at least 70%
- 30 minutes hour: read the paper, view the presentation, complete the quiz
- Read the paper from the 2019 AAEP Convention proceedings, approximately 3,100 words
- View the presentation from the 2019 AAEP Convention, 20 minutes
- Complete quiz