How to Approach Weight Loss in the Horse
Get access to all handy features included in the IVIS website
- Get unlimited access to books, proceedings and journals.
- Get access to a global catalogue of meetings, on-site and online courses, webinars and educational videos.
- Bookmark your favorite articles in My Library for future reading.
- Save future meetings and courses in My Calendar and My e-Learning.
- Ask authors questions and read what others have to say.
Weight loss in the horse is a frequently encountered problem in practice; however, finding the cause often remains a diagnostic challenge. This might be in part because weight loss is a complex problem with numerous possible mechanisms underlying it and, therefore detecting the dysfunctional body system involved sometimes proves difficult. It is also possible that the clinician is under pressure to reach a diagnosis in the most cost-effective manner, which, if weight loss occurs in the absence of other concomitant clinical signs, can make selecting the most appropriate diagnostic more difficult. There are few current resources available to the clinician that provide a comprehensive approach to weight loss in the horse.
This two-part course consists of one proceedings paper and the accompanying 2019 AAEP Convention presentation. The video has been split into two parts for ease of download and viewing; as one video part concludes, the next will unlock.
With the successful completion of this course, you will understand
- Mechanisms of weight loss
- Nutritional requirements
- Reasons for weight loss
- Diagnostic approaches
- Further reading
- 35 minutes: read the paper, view the presentation, complete the quiz
- Read the paper from the 2019 AAEP Convention proceedings, approximately 2,970 words
- View the presentation from the 2019 AAEP Convention, 20 minutes
- Complete quiz