Effective wound management
Course Format: Recorded webinar with a copy of the webinar slides provided
- Principles of wound healing
- Wound preparation
- Suture selection and pattern
- Techniques to reduce wound breakdown
- Topical applications, dressings and bandages
About this course
Wounds are regularly encountered by equine practitioners and consequently we each build up a wealth of experience. Nevertheless, we can get used to doing things in a particular way, unaware of the advances and research findings in equine wound management.
This webinar will go over the principles of wound healing before covering the latest advances. We will explore techniques to minimise wound breakdown as well as topical therapies (including dressings) that have shown benefits.
Why do this course?
The course is aimed at equine practitioners looking to improve their success rates for wound closure and optimise the use of dressings and bandages. Delegates will be shown techniques to minimise the time taken for wounds to heal with an improved cosmetic outcome.
This webinar was part of the Fundamentals of equine practice series that ran in September and October 2020. The other webinars in this series are:
- Sarcoids – Decision making and treatment options
- Headshaking – A logical approach and assessment of treatment options
- Effective wound management
- Lameness cases – which leg, which block, management and outcome
A convenient and flexible way to earn some CPD hours without leaving home is to select webinars to view from our extensive library of recorded webinars. Participants will receive a handout (slides and/or notes) to support their viewing session and a certificate for 1 CPD hours.
Participants gain access to the webinar for two weeks which allows them to view it at their leisure and convenience as well as review aspects as needed to enhance their learning.
Members of the BVA Young Vets Network receive a 50% discount on our recorded webinars (subject to availability – ten discounted places available per webinar per year).
- Andy Fiske-Jackson, BVSc MVetMed DipECVS FHEA MRCVS
- Senior Lecturer in Equine Surgery
- The Royal Veterinary College