The clinical presentation and diagnosis of metabolic diseases in ewes - Dr Bruce Watt
***PLEASE NOTE: at present this event is incorrectly charging SCGV members. AVA are working on rectifying this issue and will advise when corrected. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to be registered. Thanks for your patience!*** A range of conditions including metabolic diseases affect pre- and post-partum ewes. The clinical presentation and diagnosis of these diseases will be discussed.
Who should attend
Sheep veterinarians; mixed practitioners; new grads; students
The metabolic diseases pregnancy toxaemia, hypocalcaemia and hypomagnesaemia can affect pre- and post-partum ewes. A range of other conditions also affect periparturient ewes and can confuse the clinical presentation and diagnosis. These conditions include foot abscess leading to pregnancy toxaemia and hypocalcaemia, lactic acidosis, mastitis, toxaemia, enteric conditions and ewes that are weak from undernutrition.
Pregnancy toxaemia only affects ewes before lambing and hypomagnesaemia (in my experience) only affects lactating ewes but hypocalcaemia can affect ewes both pre- and post-lambing.
Further confusing the clinical presentation and diagnosis, ewes can become primarily affected by pregnancy toxaemia with secondary hypocalcaemia and vice versa. Both the history, clinical presentation and laboratory testing can confirm the diagnosis, but to make a diagnosis typical early cases are most useful while chronic cases can be misleading.
If you previously registered for the live webinar held on 19 June 2023, please follow the steps below to access the on demand recording on My Learning:
- Browse to https://mylearning.ava.com.au
- Click on the Personal account button
- If you are prompted, log in with your AVA website account*
- When you land on the My Learning Home Page, click on the Record of Learning button. IMPORTANT: the webinar course will appear in approximately 5 minutes. You can refresh your browser during this time to speed up the process a little.
* Don't have an AVA website account? Click here to create an account and follow the prompts. Following this, your new account and the on demand webinar will be available within the next hour. After this time, please return to the steps above.
When a Registrant registers in an on demand webinar via the education and events calendar on the website, the registrant will receive an email outlining how to access the on demand course on My Learning. If they
- have an existing AVA website account, they can log in to My Learning and within 5 minutes of logging in, access the on demand course.
- don’t have an AVA website account, they will need to create one first by following the instructions above. Within an hour after creating their account they will be able to log in to My Learning and within 5 minutes of logging in, access the on demand course.