A practical guide to adult and juvenile dehorning - Dr Xavier McKinnon
Techniques and tips on how to dehorn or disbud the bovine - from adult cattle to young calves.
Who should attend
Cattle veterinarians; mixed practitioners
Horned cattle are an important welfare consideration for animals due to the damage they can cause to other animals as well as an OHS risk for any person handling cattle. Dehorning or disbudding of cattle is important for these reasons as well as preferred by meat processors to minimise carcass damage.
In this session, we will talk about the anaesthetic considerations including nerve blocks and sedation options. We will cover the different pain relief options and the potential complications of this procedure, along with some tips and tricks for making things that little bit easier.
We will also discuss how environmental conditions can impact the dehorning process and how to overcome these.
If you previously registered for the live webinar held on 28 June 2023, please follow the steps below to access the on demand recording on My Learning:
- Browse to https://mylearning.ava.com.au
- Click on the Personal account button
- If you are prompted, log in with your AVA website account*
- When you land on the My Learning Home Page, click on the Record of Learning button. IMPORTANT: the webinar course will appear in approximately 5 minutes. You can refresh your browser during this time to speed up the process a little.
* Don't have an AVA website account? Click here to create an account and follow the prompts. Following this, your new account and the on demand webinar will be available within the next hour. After this time, please return to the steps above.
When a Registrant registers in an on demand webinar via the education and events calendar on the website, the registrant will receive an email outlining how to access the on demand course on My Learning. If they
- have an existing AVA website account, they can log in to My Learning and within 5 minutes of logging in, access the on demand course.
- don’t have an AVA website account, they will need to create one first by following the instructions above. Within an hour after creating their account they will be able to log in to My Learning and within 5 minutes of logging in, access the on demand course.