Canine and Feline Soft Tissue Surgery (Online)
This distance course will take a practical and relevant approach to the management of common soft tissue surgical conditions in the dog and cat. Many soft tissue surgical conditions can be challenging because they present infrequently in practice, and surgical procedures can be difficult to learn as normal anatomy has often been effaced by the disease process. Improve your decision making, peri-operative management and surgical technique by joining a supportive online study community.
Please note: Courses are revised following each offering. Details of content and assessment are subject to change between offerings.
On this course you will learn:
- enhanced skills in the planning and performance of common soft tissue surgical procedures in the dog and cat
- to anticipate potential complications of surgery, minimise their occurrence and manage them confidently should they arise
- to develop an individual patient plan from presentation to post-operative care, that incorporates client and patient needs.
How the course works
This course is taught via distance learning (you may know it as continuing education, distance education or continuing professional development) by a recognised international expert in his field.
In this course, Richard will use a mixture of textbooks, recent literature, videos and webinar sessions will help you better advise owners of possible options and outcomes, and how to recognise when surgical intervention is, or is not, appropriate.
In-depth part-time study 24 teaching weeks spread over a 7-8 month period
Learning materials and facilities
- Study guide
- 3 day workshop: face to face or an online option for some sessions
- Electronic library access
- MVM Commons community site
- Lecturer facilitated case discussions
- Portfolio of course work (2 submissions)
- Final assignment (online and offline components)
- Internet access: high speed (broadband) internet access is required for this course to enable you to access full online content with ease.
Fossum TW (2019). Small animal surgery. 5th ed. Elsevier, Philadelphia, PA. ISBN: 0323443443, 9780323443449
- Johnston SA and Tobias KM (2017). Veterinary Surgery: Small Animal Expert Consult (Two volume set) 2nd ed. Elsevier, Saunders, St. Louis, Missouri. ISBN: 9780323320658
NOTES: These textbooks are recommended for this paper. You may wish to purchase a personal copy. As an enrolled student you will have access to the ebook format of the current editions (3 simultaneous users).