Avian Medicine - TimeOnline
Avian consults can be difficult and often present as an emergency because owners do not understand normal bird behaviour nor recognise key symptoms that might indicate an important underlying problem.
Avian cases may often seem complex at first glance. This course aims to give you the knowledge and skills to approach them with confidence and give your patients the maximum chance of a successful outcome. This course will review and update your knowledge of anatomy, physiology, husbandry, handling and examination techniques, diagnostics, emergency procedures and radiography. We will complement this with modules that cover how to best diagnose and manage specific common problems and syndromes we see in our avian patients.
I enjoyed the course "Avian Medicine" it was very informative, and I am glad that it will help me with my Avian patients.
Samad khan, Abu Zabi
By successfully completing this course, you will be able to:
- Avian anatomy, physiology and husbandry
- Handling and examination techniques and the collection of diagnostic samples
- Emergency procedures and housing
- Interpreting avian biochemistry and making the most of other in-house pathology
- Special requirements of avian radiography
- Common problems and syndromes
- When and which medication and/or surgical procedures may be necessary, once a diagnosis has been reached.
After completing this course, participants can expect to:
- Have a better basic knowledge and understanding of the husbandry and common illnesses in birds
- Have a better knowledge and understanding of the diagnostic tests available and treatment options.
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Husbandry, Care and Advice
- Emergency Medicine and Care
- Handling and Examination
- Microscope Diagnosis
- Common Problems
- Common Syndromes
What is a TimeOnline?
Flexible and accessible online CPD
TimeOnline is quality online education delivered by veterinary experts in short, manageable timeframes.
Build in-demand skills in key clinical areas. Engage with your tutor/s and other participants through an active discussion forum. The programs are further enhanced by concise core notes, video presentations, case studies, images, useful links and interactive quizzes to test your knowledge and round out the program. Earn 10 CPD point with completion of each TimeOnline course.
Who should enrol?
This course is suitable for qualified veterinarians. Veterinary students are welcome to enrol.
BVSc MACVSc (Avian Health)
Alex Rosenwax undertook his veterinary studies with the specific aim of working with birds. This desire stems from an early childhood love for and fascination with birds. After graduating from Veterinary Science in 1991, he successfully completed the Membership Exams for the Australian College of Veterinary Scientists in Avian Health in January 1996 and then established an all-bird & exotics veterinary service in Sydney. This service is based in Waterloo, Sydney has five vets and sees referrals as well as primary accession cases. Alex is dedicated to providing quality care and treatment for all birds & exotics including fish, reptiles and small exotic mammals. He has been author or co-author on over 20 papers on both birds and exotics in peer reviewed journals and conferences.